Monday, March 14, 2011

Who's on first? The catcher.

The last trip I took to Timau, I thought it would be a great idea to teach the kids how to play the game of baseball. A kind man from Kansas City donated some bats, balls, helmets, and catchers gear. While packing my over-sized suitcase I slowly realized that it may be a bit difficult to lug this around Africa and could have been smarter to just bring some soccer balls. Or how about teaching them flag football? Too late.
First Baseman
I really didn't think about the challenges. I set up the bases and thought it would be quite simple. After I explained the game, I thought we should be good to go. Well, we had quite a few issues: they would hit the ball and run past the base out into the field or just run around the bases over and over and everyone would just laugh or not understanding what "out" meant. After a few days of playing, I felt like they finally got it. They looked like a MLB team, well, except for the fact that most were barefoot and our bases we sticks in the ground. But they got the rules for the most part.
3 guys playing 2nd base, pitcher with batter's helmet

During this trip the kids were so excited to play baseball again. They got out all their gear and set up all proud to show that they could play the game. They had made a few minor changes: 1) The pitcher wore the batting helmet. 2) The first baseman wore the catcher's gear. (I assume someone got hit with a ball on first base and decided it was a better position for protection.) 3) They had 2-3 players at each base, just in case someone made an error. It was my favorite baseball game of all time.

1 comment: