Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Future-Focused in Uganda


“I am a good candidate for a scholarship because of my academic performance in past years and I have the potential. I value education so much, and, according to me, in this global village many successful people have toiled with education and have achieved the best in their lives. Therefore, I also want to work hard to become the best and fulfill my expectations in the future. Furthermore, my personal goal is to become a good example to the younger generation.” Joel Batte

Joel Batte, HALO Hero Scholarship Recipient

What does it mean to be future-focused? According to the book "The Time Paradox", for future-focused people, long-range goals fuel today's decisions and actions. This keeps them ambitiously working, saving, and planning for a better life. Self-discipline and the ability to delay gratification are key. Future-focused people are more successful professionally and academically.  You need safety and stability in the present to start thinking about the future. 

Diner time in Uganda

My recent trip to Uganda was all about our future with questions such as: How will we maintain our programs in five years? What is the most responsible way we could bring in the other100 identified children in need? Who will our children become beyond the home? 

The Makarere Home, Uganda
For HALO, first we need safety and stability. This means we must secure sustainable funding through monthly donations or multi-year commitments to our programs. Then we are able focus on our programs, which must be geared toward giving our kids the tools to become contributing members of their communities.

Joel Batte is an example of a future focused youth who grew up in the Makarere Home in Uganda and just received the HALO Hero Scholarship. We want to follow Joel's example and continue to plan for the future. That way we are able, planning, and expecting to improve the lives of more children in need. We can all learn from Joel. I know he will be a great example for my personal life...

No comments:

Post a Comment