Monday, July 19, 2010

Our community raising our future


I somehow made my 6:00 a.m. flight from Denver to Kansas City. I don’t know why I feel invincible when I book early flights like that. I think, “4:15 isn’t that early, I am sure people in the Army do it all the time.” News flash – I am not in the Army.

While in Denver I have watched our HALO Center for Youth come alive. With the help of Nikki Cady, Denver Director of HALO (and our new mascot, her son Jaxon - pictured above), we leased a house in the downtown area of Denver called Five Points. It is a troubled part of the city with thousands of at-risk, homeless and foster youth. The center will serve as a safe haven for children in the area, offering art therapy, educational workshops taught by local volunteers and an after-school tutoring program.

This fall I will get to see a team of interns and volunteers serve the children of the community by sharing their life skills. This is the good stuff. Getting to see our communities raise our future - watching kids transform each day and work through issues we are unable to fully understand. The best thing is imagining the number of children and volunteers who will be reached at the center in years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment