Monday, July 12, 2010

I have given in

For the past few years people have advised me to blog. I keep hearing about the importance of Facebook and Twitter. I have finally given in. I signed up for Facebook. And Twitter. I realize it is my purpose to communicate what we are doing as an organization. I have witnessed incredible, improbable outcomes that are a direct result of our supporters' commitments. It would be an injustice if I kept these stories to myself.

I have made this blog part of my goal to intimately share our successes, challenges, stories and goals in hopes of connecting you to our mission of improving the lives of children in need.


Good Morning

Yesterday morning I woke up to a text from our ex-HALO International Ambassador to Uganda, Kristen Vogel. It read, "Did you hear about the bombings in Kampala?" I got out of bed, went to cnn.com and saw that 74 people were killed in a terrorist attack on Kampala during the World Cup. What went through my mind? The children we support. And then I thought of Dani Walker. Our new HALO (Volunteer) International Ambassador arrived 2 days earlier. Welcome to Uganda, Dani. Here's to the start of your 2 year commitment.

Dani's role is to oversee our programs, relationships and finances in Uganda. Once the phone lines were cleared up, I got through to Dani. Her response confirmed the reason she was selected for this job. She was completely calm, practical and had an overall positive outlook on the situation. She informed me that the children in our five supported homes are fine and that our partner organization, Cornerstone, made her feel comfortable and safe.

One integral piece of HALO is our commitment to forming partnerships with organizations that work on the ground successfully in the countries where we have programs. Cornerstone has served the Uganda for 35 years and have an undeniably strong reputation among the community. Our partnership with Cornerstone gives us peace of mind during times of crisis. Their experience and resources gives help us provide the most effective programs to the children we support. Our partnership also allows graduates from their Leadership Academy to serve as mentors in the homes we support.

It gives us the privilege of working with Ugandans who have the personal goal of raising up their own community. Today I feel grateful. Grateful that Dani was the right person for the this very important job. Grateful that Cornerstone is part of the HALO family. I spent the day grateful...and saddened for so many who lost a loved one in the attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment