Thursday, February 9, 2012

When we really don't want to

Self discipline - Doing something you should do when you REALLY don't feel like it.

On my flight to L.A., thinking about the lovely young woman at the terminal with whom I just had an interesting conversation. She was refreshingly curious, asking questions about the 20 pound ball of joy jumping on my lap known as Klaebel, my son. Her honest and up-front inquiries were much like those I had during that period of my life. Does having kids change things that much? Is it difficult? After a challenging day of packing for two (including a stroller, car seat, and 30 diapers), going through security, and feeding him a bottle while answering work calls and emails, I thought, diffucult - yes. Change things - yes. Does one giggle from Klaebel make it worth it? YES.



During our conversation I discovered her aspirations of opening a shelter for homeless children with art as a main focus. I shared the mission of HALO and her curiosity was off the charts. She asked a line of questions  and made reference to taking a leap of faith and the extreme amount of work that must go into something like this.  Has it been difficult? Yes (I would like to say its been a great challenge). Does giving just one child a safe place make it worth every hour spent on our mission? YES.

There are definately times I don't feel like doing things. Do I really enjoy reading contracts, hearing bad news, or doing database work? No. But I do it. Why? Because there are 1000 kids counting on us and there are 1000 more waiting on us.



I believe in self-discipline, but without proper motivation, it would be near impossible for me to get the things done that I do not want to do. Would I eat healthy every day of my life if I knew it meant just one more day of life with my son and husband? YES. I know it's extreme, but thinking in these terms makes self-discipline a piece of cake.

If during the times we feel sloth-like we remember the core of WHY we are doing something, we can accomplish more than we could ever imagine. Whether it's pulling a report, working out, or making that dreaded call, there can be a positive motivation at the core of every action. We just have to find it and focus on it.


HALO's monthly life skill is self-discipline. We will all be working on improving this aspect of our lives, including our youth.  Our challenge: identify 3 things you don't like to do but should. Find a motive for each that will change your  attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment