Friday, December 17, 2010

Chasing Santa

Last night was the Holiday party for The HALO Center in Denver. The Center is located in Five Points which is known as one of the roughest places in Denver.  My afternoon meeting ran late and I got stuck in traffic so I arrived fashionably late.

As I drove by and peeked in the window, it was magic. The bright red room was packed with children, presents, decorations, and love. Later, Santa came out and the kids went nuts. The best  part for me was watching the older kids who usually have an "I'm way too cool for this" attitude. Nobody's too cool for Santa.

Three months ago, there was nothing like this in the area. Now, these kids come to the center every day and for a meal, tutoring, art therapy, karate classes, and other workshops. Nikki Cady, Volunteer HALO Denver Director,  has lead our team with a heart full of nothing but love for the children and a vision of hope for their futures. Last night, that was so evident. I posted this video of the kids chasing Santa, but you will need to turn your head to the side to view it :)

This Holiday Season, HALO children around the world are in a better place because of people like Nikki. On Christmas morning, I will imagine the kids in India receiving their gifts of traditional clothing made by a local tailor or the girls in the Mengo home getting new school clothes for next year. My heart is full just knowing the children will feel loved by their caretakers and so excited to open their gifts.

I am incredibly thankful for our donors and volunteers. They are spreading love around the world. Literally. If you would like to see opportunities to give a Holiday gift for a child in need click here.

1 comment: