Monday, November 8, 2010

The Respect Challenge

Respect: The state of being regarded with honor or esteem.

Martial Arts curriculum is more than kicks and punches. In fact, the most valuable things I learned in my 15 years have to do with life skills and character. Every two months, we identify a life skill, define it, and apply it to our lives.

Preparing curriculum for the Karate class at the HALO Center this week has lead me to settle on respect as our first life skill. All students must define the word respect and give examples of how they have practiced it at home, school, and at the center.

In order to make us stronger as individuals and as a team, we have asked not only the kids, but everyone working with HALO to do this. I challenge you to do so as well. Identify 3 ways you can better respect yourself, respect others, and respect the world you live in. Feel free to post them below.



These are my personal respect goals for myself and for HALO:

Personal
Respect myself: Challenge myself, be open to change, be aware and present with everyone around me.
Respect others: Put myself in another person's shoes and often, have compassion for people who don't live like I think they should, listen actively and with intent, speak with a polite tone and positive attitude.
Respect the world I live in: Be grateful for what I have and share it.

HALO
Respect the volunteer: Be conscious of the volunteer's time, be aware that an overcommitment is a good intention, be clear of our expectations.
Respect the donor: Be a good steward of funding, clearly communicate updates and needs, be overly grateful for a donation of any amount.
Respect the child: Be careful with information about the child, respect the culture, respect the future for the child.
Respect co-workers: Respect the time of others (keep appointments and be early for them), speak with utmost respect to each other (never talk down to or over), be open to the ideas of others and always work as a team.

If you had any additions to this list as a volunteer or donor, please post them below.


”Every human being, of whatever origin, of whatever station, deserves respect. We must each respect others even as we respect ourselves.” --Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

  1. rebecca, i think you already do some of the things on your list. way to go! keep it up! things i notice that you clearly excel at:
    *speak with a polite tone and positive attitude.
    *Be grateful for what I have and share it.
    *clearly communicate updates and needs
    *be overly grateful for a donation of any amount.
    *speak with utmost respect to each other
    *be open to the ideas of others and always work as a team.

    thanks for the post and inspiration! i'm going to work on my list!

    ReplyDelete