Thursday, October 21, 2010

Much bigger than me

"Synergism is the simultaneous actions of separate entities which together have greater total effect than the sum of their individual effects." Buchholz and Roth

I studied Martial Arts growing up, which is an extremely individual sport.  When the bell rang at a tournament, I was alone, in a ring, with my opponent.  I couldn't rely on anyone to get me through the next 20 minutes.  I couldn't blame a kick to my head on someone else missing a block.  I never really experienced what it was like to be on a team.  I was used to doing things myself and I found comfort in knowing things were going to get done on time and just the way I wanted them.

HALO team members at a fund raising event.
When HALO began, I knew its success had to come from a different formula than what I had used in the past.  I learned quickly that it was impossible to learn enough about P.R. or graphic design or websites to get things going myself.  I didn't start HALO, we did.  

It started as a group of people who made a commitment to work together as a team, each signing up for a specific "job" as an Ambassador Board member.   We were forced to rely on each other and trust that everyone was honestly working toward a common goal to improve the lives of children in need. 

I learned as much as I could about the multiple aspects or "departments" of HALO so I could be an active participant in conversations and decisions, but I was not the expert, the Ambassadors were.  They took their jobs very seriously because they knew that if they dropped the ball, it would immobilize our growth as an organization.

When we worked efficiently together, our full potential was reached and we therefore were able to reach out to more children in need.  This is how we still work today and it is how we have grown to our size with only two staff members.

An integral piece of HALO is that we are committed to a mutual growth relationship with our volunteers.  We want everyone involved with HALO to bring their skills to the table, grow, and feel appreciated.  It takes time to find out where someone may fit and help them grow in that position, but if we inhibit this process, our potential as an organization suffers.

At our strategic planning meeting in Kansas City last week, there was a charged spirit in the room of volunteers.  Raw feedback, honest opinions, and open brainstorming sessions made everyone excited about their role in making HALO a better organization and reaching our goals for the following year.  I was proud to be a part of something that is much bigger than me or anything I could have imagined and I have faith that our team is going to do a phenomenal job improving the lives of children in need. 

If you would like to join our team, visit our website.

1 comment:

  1. you're such a great leader and that's why you have great volunteers! people want to help others but also have a great model in you! i'm sorry to have missed the meeting :( i'm glad it was productive and successful!

    ReplyDelete